2018 Sebastiani Cherryblock, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley
Since its creation, Cherryblock has been our flagship wine at Sebastiani.
The 2018 Cherryblock is a wine of great complexity, intricacy and sophistication. In the glass, the wine is deep purple with ruby highlights, and offers intense, concentrated aromas of cassis, tobacco and graphite. Flavors of black cherry fruit wash over the palate, with complex layers of cacao, cedar and tobacco. Full oft tannins complete the profile with lingering notes of herbs and spice. This wine is drinking well in its youth, but will improve over the next 10+ years.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
18 months in 56% new French Oak
After harvest, the grapes were crushed, de-stemmed and hand sorted using our “micro-crush” equipment to eliminate any stem pieces ( jags) and botrytised berries. We also did a cold soak and saignée to enhance color and concentration. After pressing, each lot was blended or egg-white fined depending on characteristics. The wine was aged for 18 months in French oak barrels, 56% of which were new.
Since its creation, Cherryblock has been our flagship wine at Sebastiani. The majority of the fruit (74%) came from our original Old Vines block of Cabernet Sauvignon planted in 1961. The remaining 26% is sourced from fruit from the younger vines on our estate. Our goal is to create a benchmark Cabernet that possesses the elegance, structure and terroir-driven aromatics only found in Cherryblock.