2017 Sebastiani Merlot, Sonoma County
Our 2017 Merlot is a deep purple in color and filled with aromas of black cherry, plum and a hint of herbal tea. The palate is fruit forward with a silky mouthfeel and notes of raspberry jam, vanilla, and cinnamon. The warm growing season allowed for riper, more concentrated fruit, which is well balanced by nice acidity and solid tannins. Strip steak. – David Nakaji, Winemaker
Food Pairing Notes
Enjoy this wine with a garlic and herb roasted New York.
September 21 to September 22, 2017
14 months in 20% new French oak
After a three-day cold soak, we crushed and fermented the fruit at relatively warm temperatures—for maximum extraction— in stainless steel tanks for 10-15 days. Early blending helped integrate and balance the wine’s aromatics and flavors. Fourteen months of maturation in a combination of 20% new French oak barrels brought additional structure and complexity to this Merlot.
Sonoma County has a long history of producing lush and structured Merlot. Our 2017 Merlot features fruit from great vineyards in the Sonoma Valley; 58% comes from our historic Cherryblock Vineyard and the remaining 42% from the Hoagland Vineyard. The 2017 growing season started off with record setting rainfalls, delaying bud break from years past. Spring and summer experienced a mixture of foggy, warm and windy conditions. The summer months were moderately warm allowing the grapes to mature at an ideal pace. Extreme heat spikes at the end of August to early September pushed harvest ahead of schedule. The fruit for this wine entered the winery from September 21 to September 22, 2017.