2013 Chalone Vineyard Estate Grenache, Chalone AVA
92 Points - Wine Enthusiast
A fruit-forward wine, the nose and palate are filled with notes of coffee cake, raisins, blackberry, and boysenberry.
Food Pairing Notes
Pair this with a homemade macaroni and cheese for an indulgent surprise.
This beautiful Grenache is composed primarily of Grenache (83%) and the remainder of Syrah (17%) giving it a beautiful balance.
12 months in Hungarian oak; 20% new
The fabulous 2013 vintage even surpassed the 2012 vintage in grape quality. A very low-rainfall winter was followed by a dry, warm spring and nearly ideal summer. These factors resulted in balanced vine canopies, excellent fruit set and small, concentrated grapes. The harvest was very condensed; all grapes were picked in a three-week span making it an enjoyable harvest that fostered beautifully balanced wines.
Chalone estate vineyard is planted between 1,650 and 1,800 feet of elevation, on top of the Gavilan Mountains on the eastern side of the Salinas Valley. We hand harvested the Grenache from the MacWood block, totaling 1.7 acres, which was planted in 1999 and grafted to St. George rootstock. Grenache is widely grown in France’s Rhône Valley and in Spain, where it is vinified both as rosé and red wines. At Chalone, we take advantage of both styles.
Only 185 cases produced